Thursday, May 31, 2007

Glass or Plastic

This adventure begins in our hostal, Hobo Hideaway. Emily wants some water and, of course, what emily wants, emily gets, unless it´s an illfated jungle trip. however, this is not a jungle trip, it is a trip to the mini mart. she sent me on my own, my virgin trip in peru, she even let me have the key. Anyway, it all started with a simple request, "go get me water, papa." I figured i´d get it at the front desk, but it was dry, so i ventured out barefoot ( i believe this is what is known as going native)to the nearest mini mart. I had watched emily and was feeling pretty confident that i could handle 2 waters. So, i proudly requested, "dos aqua". It instantly went down hill from there when she replied in Spanish, "congass" or something that sounded suspiciously like glass. So I politely reply in my best English, "No, plastic". To make sure she understands I point the the plastic water container on the 3rd shelf. She picks it up and i instantly see my error. The bottle is labeled "Con Gas", with gas, in other words (i.e. English) carbonated. With gas, why i didn´t instantly think of emily, i´ll never know. But i recover nicely, smile and say "no, no" and point to a still boxed and unopened stack of water bottles (all plastic, by the way)that are the the kind without gas, just like the bottle we had yesterday. She puts that bottle of con gas away she points to another one in the cooler. She doesn´t get it, it´s the same brand. I don´t want con gas. So I insist on the familiar brand in the stack on the floor, same as we had yesterday. When she again gives me a puzzled look (i seem to be getting a lot of these), i figured she still didn´t get it and was never going to get it, but since I did, i didn´t worry about it. She handed me the familiar bottles but couldn´t resist one more look. I bought my dos aqua and proudly hurried back, still barefoot, to the hostal. It was not until the first bottle fizzed all over my pants that i understood her looks. I had rejected the con gas in the cooler, made by Cielo, and the ´sin gas´ (without gas) in the cooler, also made by Cielo, and insisted she give me the more familiar brand, SanLuis. How was i to know San Luis made two types of water?

No comments: